Sunday, December 7, 2014

Counting Down


Growing up, December first was exciting because we got to start opening our daily chocolates from our advent calendars. Counting down the days until Christmas morning.

I decided to continue the tradition, as so many do, with our boys. However, it hasn't gone as smoothly as I remember. One of the kids would go to open their chocolate only to find the treat missing. I guess their moving it down from its shelf proved too rough and the chocolate would slip down to the bottom. So we would have to rip open the cardboard to find the culprit and in so doing cause others to fall out.

This year I decided to try something new. 


These are my home made calendars. Each boy has a different colour and each pocket contains its treat. Yummier than the store bought cardboard calendars (though I am sure the kids really don't care).


I folded origami pockets, and stamped each one with the date. Some are all mixed up. It lets the older boys hunt for the number and the younger ones are in order so I can quickly grab their treat and hand it to them.


This is also not going as smoothly as I would have liked. Mostly because Declan is a climber. He brings a chair up to the calendars when I am out of the room and steals envelopes off of whichever is closest. Thankfully I have extra treats to replace the stolen ones.

Another tradition that we started several years ago is opening a book a day. They are all Christmas books and they are put away all year long so they aren't boring. 

                 

Each child takes a turn opening a book until Christmas eve. They love it.


That's how we count down to Christmas. How about you?

2 comments:

Caitlin said...

Kate, those envelopes are beautiful! We haven't started any real traditions yet since our daughter is so young, but I would like to do something to mark St Nicholas' Day. My husband has Dutch roots.

Jason & Kathleen Braden said...

That is the sweetest advent calendar ever.

Can you make my kids one??? Come on, 3 extras, you won't even notice...

Really lovely idea, Katie, with the book-a-day. New books are sweet bits of quiet time in our otherwise very loud day.

Love - k